Become A Supporter
We present to you the opportunity to become a Supporter of the Bristol Bike Project.
“What does this mean, I’m already very supportive of the Bristol Bike Project?” you may ask. Well, this is an opportunity to offer sustainable financial support (in the form of a monthly contribution) to the Project so we that can further develop our community work, which currently receives no external funding beyond the money that we make ourselves through our trading arm. Here are 6 and a half reasons why you might want to become a Supporter:
1. Our Earn A Bike scheme puts up to eight new cyclists on the roads of Bristol every week.
2. We provide bikes and repairs to people with severe barriers to employment, asylum seekers, those with long term health problems, ex-offenders and people on substance abuse recovery schemes. We are the only free cycle service available for these marginalised groups.
3. We provide bikes free of charge, thus reducing the demand for cheap stolen bikes sold on the street. Before the Bike Project, stolen bikes were often the only bikes available to people on very low incomes. And, we will never work on a bike we believe to be stolen.
4. Our volunteer programme provides a supportive, learning environment for anyone wanting to learn how to fix bikes. Our workshops can provide a rewarding and motivating volunteer opportunity, especially for those experiencing long term unemployment and/or social exclusion.
5. Reuse and recycling is at the heart of our workshop. We aim to reuse every working component and recycle worn out and damaged parts, (even low value materials such as tyres and inner tubes). If we can keep it out of landfill, we will.
6. 100% of your contribution will go towards our Earn-a-Bike Programme, in order to help us buy locks, lights, essential bike parts, tools and workshop consumables. None of it will be spent on admin or overheads.
6.5. You will receive the following:
• a 10% discount on BBP services
• Free entry to the Bike Kitchen and Women’s Night
• A Bristol Bike Project t-shirt (fairly-traded organic cotton)
• A set of BBP stickers
• A quarterly e-newsletter complete with invites to BBP events
• A copy of the most recent issue of Boneshaker Magazine
• A Boneshaker Magazine Postcard Set (featuring 6 designs).
• A warm glow deep down inside!
For all these reasons we ask you to make a monthly contribution of at least £5. We want to improve the quality of our community service for project-users, and your funding will allow us to do so in the following ways:
• We will be able to cover the cost of locks and lights for two asylum seekers per week.
• We can work towards providing better quality parts to project-users, such as brand new brake blocks, cables, chains and mudguards (a must-have for Bristol cyclists!)
• We will in time generate enough to be able to pay a few people to help oversee the preparation of a batch of bikes each week so that the programme remains sustainable and so that there is always guaranteed to be a good choice of bikes when project-users come in for their Earn-a-Bike session.